Thursday, June 9, 2011

I heart the food journalism and blogs


Okay, this is one of those posts that is mostly just a bunch of annotated links. So be it.
I have always liked to read about food. I collect cookbooks and have read them eagerly since I was a child, when my mother collected the kind that Pillsbury published and you could purchase at the grocery store checkout. I have a sizeable cookbook collection of both historical and contemporary titles and I cook from it quite a bit. Ironically, I don't usually follow recipes but instead use them as a base and improvise a whole lot based on experience. I'll have to do another post about cookbooks I actually use regularly.
One of my favorite things about the Internet has always been the opportunity to read new recipes and food journalism. I used to read and sometimes post to the newsgroup rec.food.recipes in pre-web days. Now I read a whole lot of food stuff online.
Online versions of food journalism:
  • I love Meredith Brody (even though I will never forgive her review of Tristan's 7th birthday party in the LA Weekly and she is hard to find these days. She is a terrific writer who writes about food and cinema together--my dream!) and Jonathan Gold's work so I'll read that when I can. I also read Mark Bittman's work for NYTimes and occasionally read Washington Post style/food sections. I read the Epicurious blog every weekday b/c it is so good.
  • Francis Lam's Salon column rocks and Serious Eats "A Hamburger Today" and "Slice" blogs make me very happy. HuffPo has a delightful aggragated section of Food News, as does The Food Section. GOOP sometimes does "Make" issues about food that are really good and have great photography. And I believe WhatTheFuckShouldIMakeForDinner.com is my favorite "web 2.0" site. I even showed it in class to discuss the database-driven web.
  • More proper, single author food blogs: Orangette is good and makes me miss Seattle's food scene; Smitten Kitchen is my fave and I always want to try her recipes. Stay At Stove Dad is good.
  • Locally, Ann Arbor has some good but less regularly updated blogs, including The FarmersMarketer, Ed Viemetti's cooking stuff, Mother's Kitchen and more.
  • Then there are food-related apps: UrbanSpoon, Epi's app, Everyday Food's Dinner Tonight app (love that).
See, I like to read about this topic a lot! I also do like to cook quite a bit too, but after a long workday I'd probably prefer reading about food online than making it myself. Luckily in the summer I get to grow stuff and cook it and that is way fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment